Recent Articles
Recent Articles

Lori Hacking's Murder - Fatally Deceived By Her Husband's Falsehoods

Unveiling the chilling truth behind lori hacking's murder fatally deceived by her husband's falsehoods, as lies shatter lives and justice seeks its course.

Vincent Bloodworth
Vincent Bloodworth
Feb 14, 20245 Shares67 Views
Jump to
  1. How Did Mark Hacking Become A Suspect In His Wife's Disappearance?
  2. What Raised Suspicions About Mark's Involvement?
  3. What Further Developments Intensified Suspicion?
  4. Mark Hacking's Deceptions Unveiled To Lori And Family
  5. What Happened To Mark Hacking?
  6. Honoring The Memory Of Lori Hacking
Lori Hacking's Murder - Fatally Deceived By Her Husband's Falsehoods

On the evening of July 18, 2004, Lori Kay Soares Hacking, aged 27, was last sighted in public alongside her husband, Mark Hacking, as they made a brief stop at a convenience store in their Salt Lake City, Utah neighborhood. The following morning, a distressing turn of events unfolded as Mark reported Lori missing.

Amidst the escalating search efforts, the meticulously constructed facade of concern that Mark had meticulously portrayed to the public and media began to crumble. It emerged that Mark had been perpetuating a web of deceit in his life, fabricating tales about his academic pursuits, including his alleged enrollment in medical school. Instead of facing the consequences of his falsehoods, Mark resorted to the ultimate betrayal, extinguishing Lori's life in a desperate attempt to bury the lies that threatened to consume him.

How Did Mark Hacking Become A Suspect In His Wife's Disappearance?

Mark Hacking contacted Salt Lake City police on July 19, 2004, at 10:07 a.m., reporting that his wife, Lori Hacking, had not returned from her morning jog. He then called again at 10:46 a.m, claiming to have found Lori's car near the canyon where she typically ran.

Despite initially appearing grateful for the assistance of volunteers during the search, suspicion soon turned towards Mark. While the couple seemed to have a contented marriage and promising plans for the future, including Mark's pursuit of medical school, discrepancies emerged in Mark's actions and statements to the police.

What Raised Suspicions About Mark's Involvement?

Although there was initially no apparent reason to suspect Mark, investigators became wary when they discovered inconsistencies in his behavior. Notably, Mark claimed to be searching for Lori between his calls to the police, but it was revealed that he had instead purchased a new mattress.

Moreover, incriminating evidence was found in the couple's apartment, including Lori's belongings and a blood-stained hunting knife. Additionally, forensic evidence, such as blood in Lori's car and the seat being adjusted for a taller individual, pointed towards foul play.

What Further Developments Intensified Suspicion?

The situation escalated when, in the early hours of July 20, police responded to a disturbance call involving Mark, who was reportedly running around a hotel wearing only sandals. Subsequently, Mark was admitted to a psychiatric facility. However, former FBI profiler Candice DeLong remarked that Mark's behavior, particularly his decision to keep his sandals on, was inconsistent with typical signs of psychosis, raising doubts about his mental state and credibility.

Mark Hacking's Deceptions Unveiled To Lori And Family

The search for Lori persisted, but on July 21, both Mark and Lori's families were shocked to discover that Mark had not been accepted to medical school, and had fabricated his graduation from the University of Utah in 2004. Contrary to his claims, Mark had dropped out in 2002, maintaining a facade by feigning attendance, studying textbooks, and completing term papers.

He had gone to great lengths to deceive others by staging interviews at various medical schools across the country. This revelation rocked the family, especially considering the significant value placed on education within Mark's familial background. With his father working as a pediatrician, his mother as a nurse, and his brothers pursuing careers in science, the idea that Mark would deceive about his educational path was unfathomable.

However, Dr. Kathy Yates, a forensic psychologist, remarked that Mark's ability to intricately construct a false identity demonstrated his intelligence and manipulation skills, making it difficult for those closest to him to see through the facade. The unraveling of Mark's deceit began a few days before Lori's disappearance when, on July 16, Lori contacted Mark's purported medical school to inquire about financial aid, possibly due to her pregnancy.

Shockingly, she discovered that Mark had not enrolled or applied to the school. Witnesses observed Lori in tears before she left work early that day. However, at her going-away party that evening, attended with Mark, she appeared content once more. It later emerged that Mark had assuaged Lori's concerns by attributing the discrepancy to a computer error at the school.

Lori, seemingly reassured, left a message for a school administrator stating that her husband had resolved the issue. Tragically, due to the timing of Lori's call, no one received her message until Monday, by which time Lori was already deceased.

Prosecutors and others speculate that Lori's attempt to address the discrepancies in Mark's story may have triggered his violent reaction, as it marked the beginning of his lies being exposed. This revelation sheds light on the complex dynamics of deceit and manipulation within the Hacking marriage, ultimately leading to Lori's untimely demise.

What Happened To Mark Hacking?

While undergoing psychiatric evaluation, Mark Hacking's brothers visited him and urged him to come clean. On July 24, 2004, he confessed to them that during an argument with Lori on July 18, he revealed the truth about his medical school lies. That same night, he fatally shot her while she slept and disposed of her body in a dumpster.

Upon hearing Mark's confession, his brothers shared the shocking revelation with his attorney, who promptly informed the authorities. Subsequently, Mark was arrested on August 2 and officially charged with first-degree murder on August 9. The search for Lori's remains led investigators to a municipal landfill, where her body was tragically discovered two months later.

In a courtroom confession on April 15, 2005, Mark pleaded guilty to first-degree murder. Due to the advanced decomposition of Lori's remains, her pregnancy could not be verified, sparing Mark from facing the death penalty.

Mark's remorse was palpable as he admitted to the court, "She was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, but I killed her, and took the life of my unborn child and put them in the garbage, and I can't explain why I did it."

Forensic psychologist Dr. Kathy Yates suggested that Mark's pattern of pathological lying likely stemmed from feelings of inadequacy and a desire for grandiosity. Despite witnessing his family members' success, Mark felt he deserved more from life without putting in the necessary effort to achieve it.

Mark was sentenced to a minimum of six years in prison, in accordance with legal guidelines at the time, with no possibility of parole until 2035. He is currently incarcerated at the Central Utah Correctional Facility.

In a disturbing turn, in 2006, Mark was found to be providing autographs and other items for a murder memorabilia site, although he agreed to stop at the urging of his family. Furthermore, with their support, he has undertaken the task of documenting his life history while serving his sentence.

Honoring The Memory Of Lori Hacking

In 2004, Lori's brother, Paul Soares, reflected on her relationship with Mark, emphasizing that Lori's love for him transcended any societal expectations of success. He conveyed that Lori valued Mark's efforts and dedication above all else, regardless of his profession or status.

During the investigation into Lori's disappearance, a letter penned by Lori to Mark was discovered in the couple's spare bedroom. Though the timing of its writing remains uncertain, it may have been prompted by Lori's call to the medical school on July 16. In the letter, Lori earnestly implored Mark to address his behavior, expressing her desire to build a future together but asserting her inability to do so under current circumstances.

Lori's final resting place bears her maiden name, Soares, rather than her married name, serving as a poignant reminder of her identity and legacy. To honor her memory, her family established the Lori Kay Soares Hacking Memorial Scholarship at the University of Utah's David Eccles School of Business, supporting women facing adversity and personal challenges, mirroring Lori's own journey.

In 2004, a documentary aired recounting the case, titled Deadly Deception: The Mark Hacking Story, shedding light on the tragic events surrounding Lori's disappearance and murder.

Despite the unfathomable loss, Lori's mother, Thelma Soares, has found it in her heart to forgive Mark, engaging in correspondence with him while he serves his sentence. However, she candidly acknowledges that the pain of losing her daughter will never truly fade. In a 2014 interview, Thelma expressed the enduring grief she carries, highlighting that while the intensity may lessen over time, the profound sense of loss remains etched in her heart indefinitely.

See Also:

Recent Articles