August 27, 1934
The Evening News (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania) runs several stories of misfortune
The stories (clippings below) are:
- Two girls under the age of three died in a barn fire after their older brother (4) ignited hay while playing with matches.
- A boy (6) watching a steam shovel excavate was killed when the scoop accidentally dropped a boulder on the child.
- A blind man accidentally walked out of a second story window and fell to his death.
- The body of a teen was recovered under 100 feet of gravel and sand. The boy had dug himself a cave in the sand which caved in and buried him.
- A man who had previously attempted suicide by jumping into a river ended his life by stripping naked and allowing hundreds of hornets to sting him. His mother attempted to dissuade him, enduring stings in the process, but was unsuccessful. Firefighters burned weeds to repel the hornets and the man was taken to the hospital for treatment, though he still died of his injuries.
Horrific history from today:
1905: Crime scene photo, Paris 1905 (2017)
1934: Unidentified woman’s body found burned (2017)
1938: Convicts scalded to death (2017)
1938: Ex-con crucified (2017)
1938: Man kills girlfriend for rejecting marriage proposal (2017)
1887: The Illustrated Police News: an execution; man watches as sharks eat the bodies of his wife and children; man kills children, self after losing job; a bee attack leads to death of woman (2018)
2003: Woman kills son, sets body on fire to cover tracks (2018)
Today in Horror History: August 27