July 26, 1984
Wisconsin, United States
Notorious murderer and body snatcher Ed Gein dies at the age of 77 from respiratory and heart failure
Gein confessed to the murders of two women as well as the grizzly hobby of turning the bones and skin of the deceased into macabre souvenirs. Some of these trophies included:
- Leggings made of human skin,
- A bowl fashioned from a human skull,
- A corset made from a female torso,
- Masks made from the skin of females’ faces,
- Nine vulvas in a shoe box,
- A belt made of nipples,
- A lampshade made from human skin,
- And several others.
Gein was found guilty but criminally insane and sentenced to life in prison. He died in prison of respiratory and heart failure due to cancer. Because his grave suffered repeated vandalization, his body now rests in an unmarked grave.