June 14, 2015
Springfield, Missouri
The body of Dee Dee Blanchard (left) is found after a violent message is left on her Facebook

Dee Dee and Gypsy

Dee Dee Blanchard lived with her adult daughter, Gypsy Rose, who was confined to a wheelchair and was constantly being treated for a variety of ailments. On the evening of June 14, the Facebook account Dee Dee and Gypsy shared was updated with a status reading simply “That Bitch is dead!” Friends reacted with shock or disbelief, thinking the post was either from being “hacked” or that the post was in reaction to a movie. The person using the account responded with “I fucken SLASHED THAT FAT PIG AND RAPED HER SWEET INNOCENT DAUGHTER…HER SCREAM WAS SOOOO FUCKEN LOUD LOL”.

A screenshot of the Facebook post. The account is, at the time of this writing, still active as a memorial page with this status the only one accessible to the public. The response from the account as since been deleted.

Concerned friends attempted to call Dee Dee, and when the phone went unanswered, police were informed. Dee Dee’s body was in her bed, covered in blood. She had been stabbed several times. Police were also alerted to the fact that Gypsy was dependent upon her mother for medical attention; she was initially feared to have been abducted by Dee Dee’s murderer. Gypsy’s medical equipment — her wheelchair, feeding tubes, oxygen tanks, medication, and others — were still in the home, leading police to fear that if Gypsy had been taken, she may not survive her ordeal.

As police questioned neighbors, one mentioned Gypsy had a secret online boyfriend. The neighbor provided police with his name — Nicholas Godejohn — and investigators were able to obtain the IP address used to post the alarming status. Police found Gypsy safe with Godejohn in his home in Wisconsin, though they were surprised to find Gypsy did not require her medical equipment.

The pair confessed to the murders during which time Gypsy stated her mother had been forcing her to feign major illnesses including leukemia, muscular dystrophy, seizures, paralysis, hearing and vision impairment, and developmental delays for years. Gypsy confessed to waiting until Dee Dee was asleep before calling Godejohn who stabbed Dee Dee several times as she slept. Then the two stole approximately $4,000 cash in the home and fled the state. After Dee Dee’s body had not been discovered for a few days, Gypsy asked Godejohn to post the status on Facebook, hoping someone would be concerned enough to investigate.

Both confessed they felt remorse for the murder, but both felt Dee Dee would not have willingly let her daughter have a life of her own. Gypsy took a plea deal and has been sentenced to 10 years in prison. In an interview with 20/20, Gypsy stated she feels more free in prison than she did living with her mother. “The prison that I was living in before, with my mom, it’s, like, I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t eat. I couldn’t have friends. I couldn’t go outside, you know, and play with friends or anything. Over here, I feel like I’m freer in prison, than with living with my mom. Because now, I’m allowed to … just live like a normal woman.” Godejohn’s trial has been postponed for psychiatric evaluations. It is currently scheduled for November 2018.

Gypsy during her interview with 20/20

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s